Thursday, May 28, 2009

CVS Headed for Pinhook / Bendel Corner

A big shake-up is in the works for one of Lafayette's most akward intersections. CVS has received a permit to build a new drug store at the corner of Pinhook and Bendel Roads, just outside of the Oil Center. The address permitted is 1326 W. Pinhook, where a large white office building currently sits (next to Cafe Vermilionville)

This marks the first major drug store chain to build a location near Lafayette General. Across the country - CVS, Walgreen's and Rite Aid have been snapping up prime corners near hospitals. They figure that the baby boomers are only getting older, and they'll need more medications as they age. Most doctors' offices are near hospitals - so they like to be in the same general area.

I'm assuming the office building will be torn down - I'm waiting on a few calls to see who owns the building. I'm trying something new - here's a view of 1326 W. Pinhook from Google. Comment below on what you think this store will do for traffic at the intersection, and how the Google image works.

UPDATE: The office building will be torn down. CVS says "no comment."


View Larger Map

4 comments:

  1. Awkward is definitely the word for that spot! Can't imagine pulling in there easily to pick up a prescription.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't believe it. that corner will be awful to get in and out, much less getting around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google street view works fine for me, Nice! I can't imagine traffic could get any worse at that intersection, but a ton of elderly people trying to make left turns into a drugstore parking lot can only bring problems!

    ReplyDelete
  4. While I would like to see a store like CVS or Walgreens in that area, I think that location is just awful. I pass that area every day to and from work and I think that it would be awkward at BEST to get in and out of there! During rush hour traffic trying to take a left turn into that parking lot would be just about impossible. I see alot of accidents and backups if they go through with this. Can't imagine what these guys were thinking, must not be from around here!

    ReplyDelete